Friday, January 20, 2012

Books I Want...Well, Only A Few of Them

Ok, so there are a LOT of books that I want, but here are a few of the ones that pertain to Alabama history that I want:
Finding Lincoln
Finding Lincoln by Ann Malaspina
This book is set in Alabama in the 1950's. Louis needs to use the library to do a report on Abraham Lincoln, but the library is for whites only.







Marching For Freedom: Walk Together Children and Don't You Grow Weary
Marching for Freedom: Walk Together, Children, and Don't You Grow Weary by Elizabeth Partridge
This book is about the children of the Civil Rights Movement, and it features black and white photos documenting the Civil Rights Movement with special attention paid to children. The book includes the Selma to Montgomery March.





Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
Colvette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose
This book is about a teenager in Montgomery, Alabama who did exactly what Rosa Parks did....nine months earlier. She not only was not celebrated, she was shunned by her peers. This book should give a closer look into the complexities of the Civil Rights Movement. I told my students every year that to an extent Rosa Parks just got lucky. There were more people than her refusing to give up their seats. This book proves the point.



*NOTE: I have not read any of these books yet, and I have reason to believe that part of one of these books may not be appropriate for  4th graders. I want the books just the same, though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment